New School for Social Research (New York, N.Y. : 1919-1997)
1970 – 1990
This photo depicts Alicia Penalba's sculpture, titled Cathedrale
, from circa 1960. The sculpture first appeared in a 1961 exhibition by the New School Art Center, Mechanism and Organism
, and was later purchased for the Art Collection. The courtyard was created in the late 1950s and it connects 66 West 12th Street (Alvin Johnson/J. M. Kaplan Hall) and 65 West 11th Street (Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts). In the 1960s, '70s and '80s the courtyard housed several sculptures, such as this one. In 1997, it was renamed the Vera List Courtyard.
New School Fall Folio 178A pg.182;For p.178
box 3, folder 19
CitationAlicia Penalba's Sculpture in the Courtyard of The New School.
1970 – 1990. New School photograph collection; Buildings and campus (NS040101.SII). New School Archives and Special Collections Digital Archive
. Web. 20 Oct 2019
There’s more! What you see on this site is only what is viewable online. Please visit our website to find out more about what’s in the archives.