The New School Archives Digital Collections

New School photograph collectionBuildings and campus (NS040101.SII) ➔ Photograph of Isamu Noguchi's Sculpture in the Courtyard of The New School Retouched for Publication

Photographic Material


Related people/organizations

New School for Social Research (New York, N.Y. : 1919-1997) (commissioner)
Isamu Noguchi (subject)

Date

1960s

Work Type

photographic prints

Description

The courtyard was created in the late 1950s and it connects 66 West 12th Street (Alvin Johnson/J. M. Kaplan Hall) and 65 West 11th Street (Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts). In the 1960s, '70s and '80s the courtyard housed several sculptures, such as this granite sculpture by Isamu Noguchi titled Garden Elements from 1958. In 1997, it was renamed the Vera List Courtyard. Noguchi's work was part of The New School Art Collection probably from the 1960s until the 1990s. In the 1960s the sculpture even appeared in the logo of The New School. 

Inscription

17

Location

box 3, folder 19

Identifier

NS040101_000467

Use Restrictions

http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/ 




There’s more! What you see on this site is only what is viewable online. Please visit our website to find out more about what’s in the archives.