AboutFrank Alvah Parsons (1866-1930) began as an instructor at the New York School of Art in 1904. In 1911 he became director, renaming the school the New York School of Fine and Applied Art to reflect his reorientation of the institution's focus toward the practical design disciplines. The school was later renamed to honor Parsons' leadership. The collection is comprised of published editions of 21 of Parsons' lectures on art, and includes prints of period rooms he used to illustrate the lectures.
Related Archival Materials NoteThe following collections in the Kellen Archives include notes on Frank Alvah Parsons' lectures: the Marion Reed Paris notebook (KA.0069), the Roy Fleming notebook (KA.0065), and the Cleora Clark Wheeler student work collection (KA.0061). The Harry B. Baker papers (KA.0090) include a letter from Parsons describing his dismissal of the New York School of Fine and Applied Arts' student government in 1927. The Constance P. Brown papers (KA.0057) include clippings about Parson's lectures and his death, promotional materials for his books and lectures, and correspondence from Parsons to Brown. The Francis J. Geck papers (KA.0052) include correspondence from Frank Alvah Parsons regarding Geck's teaching and tour coordinator post at the Paris Ateliers in the 1920s. The Geck papers also contain booklets about Parsons. The Frank Alvah Parsons correspondence and tribute collection (KA.0106) consists of correspondence from Frank Alvah Parsons to former students James and Rose Kerr, along with Kerr's eulogy, "Mr. Parsons and Forty Ex-Servicemen."