AboutDavid Corcos Levy served as dean of Parsons School of Design from 1970 until 1989. The bulk of these records were generated between 1970 and 1984, after the merger of Parsons and the New School for Social Research, and consist of memos, correspondence, reports, and subject files related to Levy's administrative tenure.
Correspondents include a range of New School and Parsons administrators, including New School president John R. Everett; New School dean Allen Austill; Albert Landa; Oscar Kolin, chair of the Helena Rubinstein Foundation and a member of the Parsons Board of Overseers; and Neil Hoffman, dean of the Otis Art Institute of Parsons School of Design. Frequent faculty correspondents include Martica Sawin, Mary Ann Scherr, John Russo, and Irwin Touster.
Categories and subjects represented herein include developing and implementing new degree programs; the process of merging academic institutions, including the Otis Art Institute in Los Angeles; faculty relations and unionization; accreditation; program and department establishment and design; and fundraising activities. Also found here are materials created by the Parsons Board of Trustees and, after the merger, the New School Board of Overseers.
Related Archival Materials NoteRecords generated by David C. Levy as director of admissions and vice dean for development prior to Parsons School of Design's affiliation with the New School for Social Research will be found in the Parsons School of Design Office of the President records (PC.01.01.02).
Levy is depicted in multiple photographs in the Parsons Photograph collection (PC.04.01.01).
An oral history project conducted in 1994 by Martica Sawin includes an interview with David C. Levy, and can be found in the Parsons School of Design Centenary oral history project collection (PC.07.01.01). A follow up interview was conducted in 2011 by the director of the New School Archives, Wendy Scheir, with a particular focus on the transition from the teaching of interior design to environmental design in the late 1960s and 1970s--it can be found in the Radical Shifts: Reshaping the Interior at Parsons, 1955-1985 oral history project collection (PC.07.01.04). These collections also include recordings of faculty members discussing their experiences teaching at Parsons under Levy's leadership.
Additional minutes of the Board of Overseers will be found in the Parsons School of Design Records of Oversight (PC.01.01.1).
Finally, artwork created by Levy's parents and four other artists in 1934 is held at the New School Archives as Etching in Six Panels by Edgar Levy, Adolph Gottlieb, Esther Gottlieb, Lucille Corcos, David Smith and Dorothy Dehner (KA.0087).
The records of the Oram Group, including its work for Parsons School of Design, are held by Indiana University.