Originally located in six renovated brownstones on West 21st Street in New York City, the New School for Social Research reopened in 1931 in a newly constructed building at 66 West Twelfth Street. The seven-story structure, designed by architect and theatrical designer Joseph Urban (1872-1933), was the first building in what later became a three-building complex at the site. The 66 West Twelfth Street architectural plans and drawings consist of design and construction drawings documenting Joseph Urban's original building at 66 West Twelfth Street, construction drawings for the expanded campus in the 1950s, and a small number of plans representing various alteration, renovation and expansion projects.
Related Archival Materials Note
Columbia University's Rare Book & Manuscript Library Collections houses the Joseph Urban papers (http://findingaids.cul.columbia.edu), which document Urban's career and include nineteen watercolor and pencil renderings, as well as photographs, for the 66 West Twelfth Street project.
The papers of architect Albert Mayer reside at the University of Wyoming's American Heritage Center (http://rmoa.unm.edu), and a collection related to his planning project in India is located at the University of Chicago Library, Department of Special Collections (http://www.lib.uchicago.edu).
Photographs, promotional materials, and event announcements related to the 66 West Twelfth Street building and expansion projects may be found elsewhere in the New School Archives and Special Collections. In addition, the Archives has materials documenting Thomas Hart Benton's and José Clemente Orozco's murals created for 66 West Twelfth Street. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The New School Mural Collection