AboutFrancis Geck (1900-2005) graduated from the New York School of Fine and Applied Art (later, Parsons The New School for Design) in 1924 and taught interior design at the school's Paris Ateliers until 1927. Following a professional career in his native Detroit, Geck became a professor of Fine Arts at University of Colorado, where he taught for 39 years. The papers contain correspondence with Parsons administrators, including Frank Alvah Parsons, design renderings and student work, publications, and course-related materials.
Related Archival Materials NoteRelated materials may be found in the Kellen Design Archives’ Parsons School of Design Alumni Association records, 1920-1970 (PIC.03.002). These include 56 snapshots taken by Geck during his teaching career with the New York School of Fine and Applied Art’s Paris Ateliers, donated by Geck to the Alumni Association. The Alumni Association records also contain a biographical file on Geck.
Measured drawings created by students at the Paris Ateliers may be found in the Academic departments, programs, and schools collection (PIC.02.001), Parsons Paris series, Student work subseries. These items include original drawings reproduced in Geck's publications. Materials stored offsite.
Francis J. Geck's bibliographies of Italian art may be found in the Gimbel Library, Parsons The New School for Design.
The University of Colorado at Boulder holds a related collection of materials documenting Francis J. Geck’s teaching career and that of Evelyn Marie Sturdyvin Geck, his wife. From A Guide to Manuscript Collections, Seventh Edition, 2008. University of Colorado at Boulder, University Libraries, Archives. Accessed July 17, 2009 at http://ucblibraries.colorado.edu/archives/guides/manuscript2008.pdf
Materials relating to Francis J. Geck's involvement in Boulder-based civic and cultural organizations are held by the Boulder Public Library's Carnegie Branch Library for Public History.
Furniture and architectural renderings created by Francis J. Geck during his professional career are held by the Detroit Historical Society.